Like any other sport, the game of lacrosse has its own rules and regulations. One common question for beginner lacrosse players in high school is, “How long is a high school lacrosse game?”
Well, the answer to this question may surprise you. If you’re expecting a short answer, you’re in for a long one. In short, a high school lacrosse game can last anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes. But, of course, there’s more to it than that. In this post, you will learn the detailed breakdown of the game timing rules for high school lacrosse.
New to lacrosse? Find the best lacrosse sticks for beginners
How long is a high school lacrosse game (men’s vs. women’s)
1. Men’s lacrosse games are typically 60 minutes long, while women’s lacrosse games are typically 50 minutes long.
2. The length of a lacrosse game is determined by the number of players on each team. A typical men’s lacrosse game has 10 players on each team, while a women’s lacrosse game has 12 players on each team.
3. The number of players on each team also determines the number of officials required to officiate the game. A men’s lacrosse game requires three officials (an umpire, a referee, and a linesman), while a women’s lacrosse game requires four officials (two umpires and two referees).
4. The length of a lacrosse game can also be affected by the number of substitutions that are allowed. In a men’s lacrosse game, each team is allowed 10 substitutions, while in a women’s lacrosse game, each team is allowed 12 substitutions.
5. Lacrosse games are divided into four quarters, with each quarter lasting 15 minutes. There is a halftime break after the second quarter, which lasts for 10 minutes.
6. If the score is tied at the end of regulation time, the game will go into overtime. Overtime periods are five minutes long and are played until one team scores.
7. The length of a lacrosse game can vary depending on the level of play. High school lacrosse games are typically shorter than college or professional lacrosse games.
8. The length of a high school lacrosse game can vary depending on the state the game is being played. Some states have shorter high school lacrosse games than others.
Read also: When should you start playing lacrosse?
How many quarters in a high school lacrosse game
The length of a high school lacrosse game is determined by a number of factors, including the age of the players, the level of play, and the specific league or tournament rules. For example, in games played by younger players (under 14 years old), the halves are shorter (20 minutes each), and there are more breaks in play.
At the high school level, varsity games typically consist of four 12-minute quarters, while junior varsity and freshman games have two 22-minute halves. If a team is ahead by 10 or more goals at any point in the second half, the clock will run continuously until the end of the game (this is called “running time”).
There are also different rules for tournament play. Sometimes, the game length is shortened to two 20-minute halves or four 10-minute quarters. These variations are typically used to fit more games into a single day.
One important thing to remember is that the clock does not stop during play in lacrosse. This is unlike basketball or football, where the clock stops after every play. The only time the clock stops in lacrosse is for timeouts, injuries, or penalties. As a result, games can sometimes end up being shorter or longer than advertised.
Things that affect the duration of a high school lacrosse game
There are many things that can affect the duration of a lacrosse high school game. Some reasons are:
The weather can also affect the game duration. Cold weather makes it harder for players to move around on the field so the game will move more slowly. Hot weather makes it harder for players to breathe, making the game move more slowly.
The field size can also affect the game duration. A smaller field means players have to cover less ground so the game will move more quickly. A larger field means players have to cover more ground so that the game will move more slowly.
If one team has more players than the other, there will be more substitutions and longer breaks between plays.
The players’ skill level can affect the game duration. The game will end in shot duration if the players are skilled and playing well. However, if there are a lot of turnovers or players are not skilled, the game will move more slowly.
A closely contested game will likely last longer than a game where one team is significantly outperforming the other.
Read also: Best Lacrosse Camps in 2022
So, there you have it!
As you can see, there is no definitive answer to the question of how long a high school lacrosse game will last. It all depends on the age of the players, the level of play, and the specific league or tournament rules. However, you can generally expect a high school lacrosse game to last anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes.
That’s a wrap! We hope you know the answer to “how long is a high school lacrosse game?”. If you have any other questions about the lacrosse sport, feel free to leave them in the comments below!
In the meantime, check out our other blog posts for more interesting content on all things lacrosse-related.
Read also: Best Lacrosse Attack Heads in 2022